March Born, Know The Legend Of Aquamarine And Gifting Options.
A March-born shall always be
Soothed by aqua, gem of sea
This mermaid’s treasured stone you wear
Brings happiness, love, affection and care.”
In ancient times, many believe that rocks and crystals had the power to influence one’s life and direct one’s destiny. While we may not believe in these non-rational theories today, we still love to marvel at the connections between gems, the zodiac and our personalities.
Aquamarine, birthstone for March borns, a stone so brilliant that it rivals best of the gemstones in beauty. Ranging from a colourless pale blue to blue-green and teal, the most prized being deep-blue aqua coloured gem. You can almost hear the roaring of the waves when you gaze through an Aquamarine…it truly embodies the spirit of the ocean, from the playful waves that lap the shore to the mysterious secrets of the deep.
LEGENDS OF AN AQUAMARINE
- The earliest dates back to high priest, Aaron from the Bible– who had 12 stones encrusted on his breastplate – representing the qualities of each of the tribes of Israel. These 12 stones later stood for the 12 apostles. Beryl or Aquamarine was associated with mercy and the apostle Thomas because the saint made long journeys over the sea, even to India, to preach.
- Did you know, that dropping a piece of aquamarine in water could reverse the effects of poison and the drinker would be safe from liver and stomach ailments.
- Another Roman legend states that the stone, when blessed and worn, joins two in love – hence it was considered as the most appropriate gift for a bride to her groom following the consummation of their marriage.
- The word “Aquamarine” itself makes two references to the ocean! According to legend, Aquamarine originated from the treasure chest of the mermaids and for ages, has been a lucky stone for those who travel over water – as it is said to possess the abilities to give the wearer courage, serenity, release anxiety and calm restlessness.
- Not only Greeks and Romans prized Aquamarine – in Thailand, it’s believed that this jewel could keep seasickness and drowning away. As time passed, writers of the middle ages claimed that this stone was the most effective of the “oracle” crystals. When cut as a crystal ball, it was said to be the most superior in fortune telling.
- Aquamarine then became the birthstone of those born in March in the year 1912 by a trade association of jewellers for commercial gain. In order to encourage people to buy Jewelry, they assigned one to each month of the year – a marketing gimmick to ensure all year-round sales!! Got to love marketing tactics! wink wink!
WHY GIFT AN AQUAMARINE?
- I am sure you didn’t know, Aquamarine is a stone to be gifted to a couple celebrating their 19th wedding anniversary. Folklore says that the stone will protect against gossip and is also a symbol of fidelity and hope.
- Aquamarine is also a thoughtful gift to give an Aries-born person or someone born in March as it symbolized good health, love youthfulness and hope.
If you have someone who travels often, works on a ship or the oil rigs, gift them this stone that is synonymous for protection by sailors. The ancient Greeks believed that sailors wearing the stone or ones who slept with them under their pillow would be protected from disasters that the sea would bring, while the Romans, on the other hand believed that aquamarine was sacred to Neptune, God of the sea.
Styleprer suggests – Gifting jewelry is much more meaningful when it’s backed with so much history. Add a special touch by customizing it to suit your loved one’s personality.